- Senior Partner:
Head of Energy Law Department
Antonis Paschalides & Co LLC
- Minister of Energy, Commerce, Industry & Tourism (Cyprus)
- Managing Partner: Eliades & Paschalides 1980-2007
Antonis Paschalides – Former Minister of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism to Cyprus, served from 28.02.2008 until his resignation on 04.08.2011, represents domestic and international clients in attaining their business objectives.
Antonis Paschalides travels extensively across the world enabling international clients to launch projects of magnitude offering legal and consultancy expertise from his extensive working experience of commercial and diplomatic prominence.
Antonis Paschalides has practiced law since 1980 representing a number of banking institutions and being involved in significant cross-border acquisitions. On his appointment as Minister of Energy, Commerce, Industry & Tourism for the Republic of Cyprus on 28.02.2008, he 'temporarily' left the legal firm that he had established as Antonis Paschalides & Co LLC in 2007, which had emerged from the former partnership of Eliades & Paschalides established in 1980 by the two founding partners.
Antonis Paschalides has periodically advised the Cyprus President on Eastern Mediterranean issues and particularly as Minister of Energy has undertaken a great deal of work in the energy sector and has:
- Initiated the development of strategic plans for Renewable Energy.
- Negotiated the First Round of Licensing for the natural gas explorations for Cyprus and oversaw the preparation of the legal framework.
- Negotiated, contributed and signed a number of international strategic agreements regarding the Exclusive Economic Zone of Cyprus and its neighbouring countries. He was one of the strongest and most influential supporters for a strategic agreement with the state of Israel which was finally concluded on 17.12.2010 and is considered one of the most important agreements ever to be signed by Cyprus.
- Led the negotiation team and concluded an agreement with Noble Energy (USA), the first company to drill for Natural Gas and Oil in Cyprus.
- Involved in the establishment of the Regulatory Authority for Energy (CERA) and the state owned company for Gas (DEFA).
As Minister for Commerce, Antonis Paschalides was very active in promoting competition against controlling monopolies and restrictive practices promoting new anti-monopoly measures and new legislation in this field.His position put him also responsible for 'Investments' and he there played an important role in the attraction of foreign direct investments, mainly from the Middle East to Cyprus amidst the global financial crisis.
During his term as Minister of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism Antonis Paschalides frequently accompanied the President of Cyprus on his foreign trips acting in the role of advisor and being involved in many significant agreements on behalf of the Republic of Cyprus with regards to cross-border cooperation's on matters of Tourism, Commerce, Industry and of course Energy.
Antonis Paschalides enjoys being actively involved in matters of all areas of business transactions, and is very influential on matters of energy due to the widely acknowledged positive involvement he had on events taking place in Cyprus with regards to the energy field.
He remains active in politics.
- BA University of North London, UK
- Barrister-at-Law Middle Temple Inn, UK
- Cyprus Bar Association
- Nicosia Bar Association
- Nicosia Executive Lawyers' Committee (15 years)
- Civil Aviation Transport Authority by the Council of Ministers (10 years)
- Lecturer at the University of Nicosia (16 years)
- Former examiner for the AAT London Examinations
- Ruby Cross of the International Charitable Foundation "Patrons of Art of the Century" (Russia) 2009
- Fellowship by the Cyprus Institute of Marketing 2010
- Honoured by the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce & Industry 2011
- Honoured by the Cyprus Tourist Organisation 2011
- Honoured by the Cyprus Hotel Directors Association 2011